6 Things Business Owners Should Do Before Embracing New Technology
Almost each day, we hear about the latest improvements in modern technology. We are promised that new methods will transform our industry. This is something that any new business owner will be interested in, because they constantly look for new tools that promote their services and products. It’s important for them to find out about things that can help their business. When they are busy running the business, new technology could actually help them improve efficiency. Here are things that business owners should do when they find out about new technology:
- Check whether it’s just hype: Dozens, if not hundreds of new methods are proven to be just hypes. Although they could work, they are not compelling enough to replace mature, existing technology. Longevity is an important factor that we need to consider and we should let a new technology proves itself in our industry. It is a bad idea to take unnecessary risks of doing something that is useless or even harm our business. If the new technology is only slightly better than the current one; it may not be compelling enough to make the transition.
- Look for reputable sources as references: Before adopting a new technology, businesses should do proper due diligence and research about possible implementations. We should know about the source of the information and someone who is cited as an expert; may not have the actual intellectual capacity to be seen as an authoritative figure in the industry. We shouldn’t limit ourselves only to online research methods, but we also need to contact other professionals in the industry for opinions.
- Find out about what we want to accomplish: Before adopting a new technology, we should set a real goal. Our goal should be realistic, quantifiable and specific. Knowing about out real goal is essential, because transitioning to a new technology may not provide us with real benefit. As an example, new laptops with touchscreen display may seem to be impressive and useful for office settings; but we may eventually find out that employees hardly use them for word processing and spreadsheet tasks.
- Check whether it only reinvents the wheel: Some “new” technologies are actually not new and they are only repackaged to look fresher. We should know whether the technology is really revolutionary like what people are claiming.
- Ask questions often: Business owners should know that they in business for their clients and customers. Whatever they do should have some values that are transferred to the clients and customers. By asking questions often, we should be able to save time and energy. The web communities should be to answer all of our questions. We should find out about the online community we are comfortable with. By using Google, we should be able find various professionals that can answer our questions. This should be among the fastest way to find information. Also, by asking questions; we will be able to form early network with peers and colleagues in the industry.