Choosing Between WordPress and Joomla
WordPress and Joomla are two well-established content management systems and they have been used by millions of people. Both platforms are supported by very established online communities. There are hundreds of quality blogs and forums dedicated for any of these platforms. They help beginners to quickly start with the development process. Drupal is also a useful platform, but it is less user friendly compared to WordPress and Joomla. Both content management systems have a strong edge over others. This has caused the selection between WordPress and Joomla a rather difficult thing. However, there are factors that can help us make a decision:
- Usability: WordPress is known for its excellent usability from developer’s and user’s point of views. It is known for complete simplicity. Computer users who are familiar with Microsoft Word could quickly acclimatize themselves with the platform. Joomla may have less usability compared to WordPress, but latest versions of Joomla has much improved usability.
- Versatility: WordPress is often known for a blogging platform, while Joomla has more advanced features. Joomla comes with many powerful features, while WordPress offers excellent publishing content. There are components that target nearly every market and industry. WordPress is more suitable if we have much limited time, but if we need more improved features, Joomla should be a more suitable solution.
- SEO: WordPress is known as a strong platform with good SEO performance. There are customizations that we can do to make WordPress becomes more search engine friendly, such as using the title of the content for the URL. If fully optimized, WordPress websites could rank higher on Google. To gain full benefits from search engines, we also need to customize Joomla by adding various plugins and making additional changes. Joomla can be fully customized to overcome any available SEO shortcomings.
- Scalability: In general, Joomla is highly scalable and it can be used to design both small and large website. Development of websites with complex functionality should also be easy to do. The platform is impressive out of the box and we will be able to gain more features, even if our sole purpose is to publish any kind of informational content. If required, Joomla can be easily scaled and we will be able to incorporate various application or features.
- Integration: In terms of advantages, Joomla clearly has more strength. We can extend the capability of the platform by integrating it with various 3rd party software. Joomla comes with powerful and well formed API that allows us to extend the capability of the platform. There are certainly more plugins, widgets and themes available for WordPress, but Joomla seems to be more capable with its more versatile features.
- Development: In terms of development, Joomla is obviously a clear winnder. Although WordPress with its open source platform allows for customized developments, Joomla is clearly more versatile. Even so, for users who don’t need advanced features, WordPress is more than enough in delivering thousands of possible features.