How To Prepare For Brain Tumor Surgery?
A brain tumor is an abnormal growth of cells in the brain. When the body is normal, there is formation of new cells only for replacing old and damaged cells. But sometimes, cells grow when they are not required and accumulate to form a pile which is called as a tumor.
Brain tumor can be dangerous for health as it puts pressure on normal portions of brain or permeates into these areas. There are two kinds of brain tumor- primary and metastatic. Primary tumor originates in the brain while metastatic tumor spreads to the brain from other parts of body like breast, skin or lungs. Main treatments for brain tumor are: Surgery, Chemotherapy and Radiation therapy.
Surgery is the main line of option. One must be prepared f or surgery by arranging finances for meeting brain tumor surgery cost in india.
Preparing For Surgery
You will undergo certain pre-operative checks:
- Your fitness for anesthetic and potential for good recovery
- Blood tests to evaluate your general health and state of kidneys
- An Electro Cardio Gram (ECG) to check health of heart
- Breathing tests ( tests of lung function)
- An echocardiogram ( using sound ways to ascertain health of heart painlessly)
- Chest X-ray for checking health of lungs
Based on type of tumor, you may have to undergo following tests:
- Blood tests to check chemical markers or hormone levels:
You may have to take blood tests to check hormone levels or/ and chemical markers for pituitary tumors and tumors of pineal region. Markers are chemicals linked to certain types of tumors evident in blood samples. They can be used to monitor cancer.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
It is an electric reading of patterns of your brainwave. This is used mainly if your tumor causes seizures or fits. It is a painless procedure. In this 20 pads are placed around your head using sticky tape or gel. These pads are wired to the EEG machine. The latter provides a printout of brain waves which will be checked for any abnormalities.
- Neuropsychology test:
This is to evaluate whether tumor is impacting memory and thought patterns. The psychologist or doctor will present you a wide range of questions regarding various topics. Such a test will provide a baseline of your status. This test can be repeated after surgery for the same purpose.
This procedure examines state of blood flow and blood vessels using an X-ray. They are conducted often before surgery if tumor is located close to a blood vessel in the brain. Using this, surgeon can make preparations for the surgery to avoid potential damage to blood vessel.
- Neurological tests:
Neurological observations ( neuro obs) are essential before and after surgery to make comparisons. They involve:
- Posing questions to check mental alertness
- Making you squeeze the hand of the nurse or pushing your feet against her hands
- Shining a light into the eyes to check reaction of pupils
- Monitoring blood pressure, temperature, pulse and rate of breathing.
Neuro obs are recorded by determining your GCS ( Glasgow Coma Scale) score.
These are some of the ways in which you can prepare for brain tumor surgery. Good news is that cost of brain tumor surgery in india is much lower than other countries. India is thus a magnet for medical tourists seeking this treatment.