App Store Optimization- 6 Top Strategies To Boost Your App Marketing and Improve Ranking
Both Google and Apple are getting conscious about their application ranking algorithm. It means that developers cannot just rely on simple keyword stuffing their name and description. It will need a well-planned and managed app store optimization strategy.
“App Store Optimization, or ASO, is a way of ensuring your app meets app store ranking criteria and rises to the top of a search results page.”
Your newly developed mobile app will need an optimization strategy to rank higher in the search results. But how will it be possible?
How can the business owner increase the discoverability of their application in the App store? One option is to hire a professional app marketing company that has knowledgeable and experienced developers to create an app that perfectly matches the criterion set by search engines.
According to a Forrester study, “63 percent of apps are discovered through App store search and it was the largest app discovery method in the study.” This study shows if an app is not ranking well in the App Store search, it is at a risk of losing out on the primary driver of free organic downloads.
Here are a few strategies that will help you optimize your app, boost app marketing and improve ranking-
- Understand why optimizing your app is important– According to App Store optimization statistics- there is a ranking criteria for Apps as well which functions in the same way as Google’s ranking criteria in which websites are listed for particular keyword searches. This is the reason why you need to optimize your app in the App Store and improve its ranking.
If you ignore the ASO, your app will not appear in search results and nobody will be able to find your app.A survey conducted by mobile marketing platform Tune shows “47 percent of all American iPhone users discovered the latest app they downloaded by browsing the App Store.” These figures are enough to understand why app optimization is important.
- Get into the mind of target audience and customers– The foundation of any successful ASO strategy is knowing your target audience and customers.
Before you begin to develop an app, you need answers for these questions-
- For whom have you designed your app?
- Problems that you app will solve?
- What geographical areas will you target?
The next step is doing some market research and figure out what exactly your customers want and how your application will fulfil their requirements.
- Pick the right app name– Finding a unique name for your app isn’t just a matter of branding, you need to include relevant keywords within your title, as per App Store optimization statistics.
According to a study conducted by TUNE, “top 25 ranking positions were examined and it was found that apps with a relevant keyword in their title ranked, on average, 10.3% higher than apps without a title keyword.”
The app title can be up to 255 characters long which gives an ample of space for inserting keywords nicely. However, it is important to keep the app name short and easy to remember.
- Create a compelling description– In app store optimization strategy, the description should incorporate keywords, created in a way that illustrates product details and targets customer base. It should include a call-to-action for your prospects. However, it is important that you make use of simple and easily understandable text to create the description.
The app description is the right approach to convince your target customers that it meets their needs perfectly.
Note- The app’s description should be treated as a living document. Always remember to make changes in the description with each new update of the app.
- Include screenshots and videos– Though screenshots and videos do not have a direct effect on search rankings but they do drive downloads. As you know visuals are more attractive to human eye than text and remember them for a long time. Moreover, images convey a lot about product and bring text to life.
So, it is important for the app owner to include screenshots and videos that will give a clear picture of app to target audience and compels them to download.
- Frequent Updates are needed- According to app marketing company- the mobile customers are always looking for apps that are constantly improving based on customer feedback. Moreover, the apps that are constantly updated are seen by both App Store and customers.
The three key points that you need to take care of when you plan to optimize your updated app are-
- Notify customers about the update and tell about the improvements
- Update the app description and add ‘what’s new’ field
- Maintain a positive rating for an easy win
The best example is Snapchat. Recently, they updated their app with a Map feature in which a user can see their friends’ location and events. And, an Update message with a tutorial was sent by Snapchat to its users.
So, it becomes important for the app owners to notify their users about the recent updates.
App Store Optimization is an ongoing process, creating a successful app store optimization strategy needs a keen eye, planning and regular search and modifications so that your investment in app development pays off well.
ASO is crucial for app’s success. Build an app and get it optimized!