All About Non-Vegetarian Food
Non-vegetarianism has become a way of life for most people. Whether it is a traditional curry with bursts of exotic flavour or delectable processed food, non-vegetarian options have become very famous. Many restaurants offer various delicious non-vegetarian dishes that make any non-veg lover’s mouth water.
Succulent meat is tossed with spices and marinated for a long amount of time to create scrumptious Moghlai gravies and appetizers, tandoori dishes, coconut and meat gravies, spicy fish dishes, and kebabs that are a non-veg lover’s paradise. A variety of non-vegetarian cuisines exist in India based on the regional availability of the produce. Cuisines such as Bengali, Maharashtrian, Kashmiri, South-Indian and Konkani food include a wide variety of non-veg recipes that are a treasure for any non-veg lover.
The Advantages of Non-veg Food Over Vegetarian Food Include-
- Fish takes almost no time to pick up flavour whereas red meat and chicken take a while longer to marinade. The melt-in-the-mouth pieces of chicken, fish or mutton leave behind a sinful aftertaste that gives the taste buds a run for their money. The spices that are used have medicinal and healing properties.
- Non-vegetarian food is stocked with protein, which ensures complete nourishment, which may not be found from plant-based protein. Protein is crucial for the body; it helps in smooth functioning and healing of the body and its absence results in loss of concentration, muscle loss, weakness, health implications on the metabolism, and stunted growth amongst young children.
- Declining the consumption of non-vegetarian food during meals can cause various mineral and vitamin deficiencies like fatigue, depression, lower immunity to disease, and sleep disorders.
- Fish is a high source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are a basic requirement for the brain to function properly.
- The other loss of nutrients includes iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin B-12 or essential fatty acids, which cause many health problems.
The Disadvantages of Non-veg Food Include-
- Red meat consumed in large quantities can cause a high risk of cholesterol and high blood pressure, heart ailments, and clogging of arteries.
- Breaking down the high protein content found in non-veg meals produces strain on the digestive tracts, which makes the digestion of non-veg food last for 2-3 days.
- Obesity and quick weight gain is a direct consequence of eating animal-based food regularly. It has been proven by studies that non-veg consumers put on weight faster than vegetarians in 5 years. With the unhealthy and fast-paced lifestyle that we lean, it is not a surprise that the poor digestion of protein leads to massive weight gain.
- It is possible that the poor administration of poultry farms can lead to unhygienic breeding conditions. Hence diseases such as E-coli infection, salmonella, bird flu, bovine immunodeficiency virus, which usually occur in birds or animals, are transmitted to humans through the gastrointestinal tract.
The most efficient alternative is to have a balanced diet; vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes should be included in the food to maintain a balanced diet. This enables us to experience the best of both worlds and enjoy the health benefits on both sides of the spectrum.